Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 204 Honoring My Husband With Optimism

Today I came across a book in my library that I did not remember was there.  The book is called "The Good Marriage - How and Why Love Lasts" by Judith S. Wallerstein and Sandra Blakeslee.  I was looking for something else and there it was.  My immediate thought was I clearly have had a curiosity about marriage for quite some time.  I recently gave a few books to a fellow classmate that recently got married.  One was entitled "Before You Say I Do" and the other was called "The DNA of Relationships" by Gary Smalley. 

When I came across the book I began reflecting on just how long or how many books about marriage I have purchased over the years and the books I purchased before Bryan and I got married.  There have been quite a few.  As I read the first chapter in the book called "The Good Marriage" I realized why.
The authors shared a story about being in the room with over 100 women, married, divorced, widowed and single.  They were embarking on the journey to research the secrets to a good marriage and they asked the group to tell them what it is like to be in one.  They were surprised at the cynical laughter they received.  Many of the women made remarks like, good luck or surely you are not referring to my marriage and other remarks of similar nature.

As I read the content it reminded me of some of the comments I received when I shared with folks that I was starting a blog to honor my husband.  I received similar cynical remarks.  I was very saddened by some of the comments I heard and felt the same today as I read the book that was written almost 12 years ago.  It was a national bestseller and I wondered if it was a bestseller because folks were seeking to understand how to have a good marriage or because they believed one did not exist.  In any event I began really thanking the Lord for my marriage and the commitment Bryan and I have made to each other.  I still wonder how different many marriages would be if both the husband and wife made a conscious choice to honor and serve each other.

Bryan and I by no means have a perfect marriage but are both the product of divorced parents. We vowed our commitment to work things out at the onset and because of that, today I am honoring my husband with optimism.  I know there are a lot of marriages that are struggling; we have had our share of challenges over the years.  By no means do I suggest anyone that is in an abusive marriage should take the abuse.  Yet I know there are many marriages that are good where both parties are happy.  I am honoring my husband with optimism because I believe that is something that has pulled us through with God leading the way.  I believe in the sanctity of marriage and I believe God can truly work out anything when he has put two people together.

Wives of the world in what way can you or do you honor your husband with optimism?  How can you look to the good, forgive the bad and stay focused on the goal of commitment?  Where is your optimism barometer when it comes to your marriage on a scale of 1 to 10?  How can you get it to be off the scale?  Please share your stories with us; we would love to hear from you.

Blessings,

Rochelle

"Marriage is not a place to "stand up for your rights." Marriage is a decision to serve the other.."
1st Corin. 7:2 The Message

No comments: