Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 108 Honoring My Husband With A Yes

I just began reading an interesting book.  It is called Improv Wisdom and it lists the key principles to live a life of improv.  The first concept is "Yes."  The author suggests that by saying yes to many of life's requests we live a more fulfilled life.  She also goes on to say this does not mean simply going with the flow, but really saying yes, meaning yes and acting upon it. 

The book states that when we say no we are blocking something from the other person.  No to the author meant control.  I'm not allowing something therefore I am controlling what you get and or do. She recommends spending a week just saying yes.  I am typically not a no person.  I usually do respond with a yes however my yes may be followed with an and. For example, yes I can help you take care of the house and I will get to it by 8:00 tonight. My yes's are usually followed by a time line or a request to have an opportunity to plan.  This is somewhat contradictory to living a life of improv.

Today I honored my husband with a yes.  I have to be honest and admit it was after several yes ands.  But nonetheless I did honor him with a yes when he requested that I meet him somewhere when I was already in route to another location.  I am also going to embark on this journey and challenge to just say yes to him for a week.  I am excited and frightened at the same time as I begin to think about the possible implications, but this is what God placed on my heart today.

Wives of the world in what ways do you or can you honor your husband's with a yes?  Are you a blessing blocker by always saying no?  Does your house celebrate when you do say yes because of the infrequency or is it another day of celebration because it is more your norm?  How can you honor your husband's today with a yes?

Blessings,

Rochelle

"I imagine that yes is the only living thing." E.E. Cummings

2 comments:

Patricia Ryan Madson said...

Dear Rochelle,
You have no idea what a thrill it was to read your post and to learn how the idea of saying YES is enriching your life. I think this is a perfect application of the idea in the first maxim. In marriages I think we get into the habit of trying to have things our way. I know I do, and all too often I don't really even listen to my husband. He is a wonderful improviser and we both have a rule in our house: Say YES (unless there is a real or serious reason not to . . .) Sometimes we have to say no because we are already committed to something or someone else, but learning to make YES a natural and first response can really help a marriage grow and get strong. It's our egos that get in the way of our love sometimes. YOU have inspired me to take this pledge as a father's day gift to my husband. For a week: it's YES! Thank you with all my hear for sharing this. I know your life must be filled with blessings.
In gratitude,
Patricia Ryan Madson

Rochelle said...

WOW! Hi Patricia, I am truly honored that you read and responded to my blog. Your book has already been a blessing to me and I cannot wait to get deep into the other principles. When I began the second principle, I noted in the margins, I love this book. I often struggle to have a good balance between spontaniety and planning. I'm just getting into it but I'm excited about what I will learn. I also cannot wait to learn the technique about how to hold a name to memory after the first meeting. If I can learn how to do that I will be joining the world of improvs for sure. Again thanks so much for sharing and takiing the time to write on my blog.
Rochelle