Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 128 Honoring My Husband By Valuing Our Differences

Sometimes it takes the square and the
circle together to make the perfect shape.
On day 126 I mentioned how Bryan and I are very different in our approach to many things.  He is very black and white and I see gray.  I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and he trust just about no one, I see the glass half full, and he sees it half empty.  I make decisions from my heart and he is all business and bottom line.  These differences are typically handled very well because we tend to balance each other out however they can also be very challenging.

One of the ways we are very different is when it comes to money.  I tend to manage to the penny and he is very frugal (putting it nicely); if I lend someone money I feel blessed if I get it back and if he lends someone money he feels they are obligated to give it back.  If someone commits to paying me for something I tend to trusts that they will and he will too until the day they committed has past.  Financial differences and expectations can be a huge source of marital discourse and fortunately for us we have found a good middle ground, but not without our difficulties.  Today I found myself having to really value, understand and appreciate our differences when it comes to finances. 

I am in a situation where someone owes me money, I am being pretty patient about it and Bryan is quite frustrated.  I believe the situation will work out as needed and he believes the person is trying to take advantage of me, my time and skills.  I really had to sit with his perspective and recognize that because we come from such different places there truly is value in both our views.  The key for me is to find that good and healthy balance where I am not being too lenient and he is not being too hard or where I am standing my ground and he is allowing some latitude.  In the end, I know the Lord has placed us together so that we can support each other with the opposite perspective so that we are both making fully informed decisions. 

Today I am honoring my husband by valuing our differences when it comes to finance.  I am so appreciative of him giving me his perspective so I am not so lopsided when it comes to holding others accountable.  Our differences I believe is what keeps our scale balanced.

Wives of the world in what ways can you or do you honor your husband by valuing your differences when it comes to finances?  I have learned that in just about every situation there is his truth, her truth and the truth.  It does not make either right or wrong just a different way of viewing the situation.  When we can find that happy medium that takes into account both perspectives, that's when the bells ring together to make beautiful music.  What type of music are you making when it comes to your husband differences?  Please share your stories with us; we would love to hear from you.

Blessings,

Rochelle

"Our greatest strength as a human race is our ability to acknowledge our differences, our greatest weakness is our failur to embrace them." Judith Henderson

No comments: