Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 182 Honoring My Husband With The One Minute Secret

On day 176 I shared how I had come across a site that talked about the 7 secrets to a happier marriage.  The first secret is the "One Minute Secret".  Drs. L and Leslie Parrott of Real Relationships describes the first secret as follows:


When you both return home after a day of work, before you do anything else, spend 60 seconds sharing a hug and a kiss, looking into each other's eyes, and talking.

It's this simple: when you come in the door, FIND YOUR SPOUSE. Go to him or her and offer 60 seconds of affection and attention. If you're the first one home, when your spouse arrives, stop what you're doing and give your mate 60 seconds of affection and attention. What happens between you on a subconscious level is extremely important. Pressing your bodies together, focusing on each other for a full 60 seconds (and that is longer than you think), soothes your subconscious. It says warmth, home, love, and security in a very primal way.

Bryan and I typically greet each other with a kiss when we are going and coming in the morning and evening everyday.  Since we were already home today I told him I had a secret I wanted to share with him that required him giving me a hug for a full minute.  When we were done he asked, so what's the secret, I simply said its the secret to a happier marriage that I would like to add to our current practice of kissing each other when we first see each other in the evening. 
So did this activity soothe my subconscious?  I really don't know if it did that but it did allow me to feel more emotionally connected in the moment and I do believe if we incorporate this practice on a regular basis it will have a positive impact on our marriage.  Today I honored my husband with the "One Minute Secret" to a happier marriage.

Wives of the world how can you surprise your husband with the "one minute secret" if it is not already a common practice.  See how it impacts you and your spouse.  I always tell Bryan I feel safest when I am wrapped in his arms, so if this exercise does nothing else, it will give me the feeling of safety on a regular basis.  I believe that in of itself could make for a happier marriage.  Ladies please share your stories with us and how you felt about it; we would love to hear from you.

Blessings,


Rochelle

"A hug a day keeps the marriage counselor away." RAS

4 comments:

ronmar said...

Hello, I haven't been on in a while and I do apologize for that. I have seen some interesting discussions, for 1 I think you are Great to do this and still have some much insight for us women with our marriage situations or just being in relationship. 2. Your dedication is amazing. back to 1 minute secret, we sometimes forget to do the simplest things and I agree that giving a little hug can make you spouses day that 1 minute can put so much perspective and emotion in away you can or cannot imagine.

Rochelle said...

Thanks Ronmar for sharing that. I asked for a repeat this morning and it was a great way to get the day started and I actually notice a change in Bryan's emotional state afterwards. So maybe it really is a great hidden secret. We will keep at it and see what happens.

Toyin O. said...

This sounds like a really great away to keep love, intimacy, and affection alive in a marriage. Something to keep in mind if I ever get married:)

Conny said...

I've so often heard (read) that when you are stressed, just holding someone's hand or getting a hug can reduce your stress levels immediately because of the release of whatever "feel good" hormones that releases ... so I'm thinking a 60 second hug just because would just ADD TO one's state of well being whether it was "needed" or not. My husband & I often forget to hug/kiss good-bye or hello - and that makes me sad that we don't even think about it sometimes. Time to make some NEW (good!!) habits!!!! :-X