Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 21- Honoring My Husband With Calmness

I am often struck by how the Lord shows me my focus for the day.  Bryan and I live near the Susquehanna River and have to cross a bridge to travel just about anywhere.  Yesterday when I crossed the bridge, I was struck by how it was very windy outside yet the water was unnaturally calm.  I thought wow, the water looks beautiful and peaceful today.  However, today as I crossed, I noticed the calmness was gone and it was as if the water was having a fight with nature.  It appeared more dirty than normal and it was whipping all over the place.  As I neared the end of the bridge, I noticed the enormous amount of debris that had surfaced as a result. 

The contrast between these two forces calmness and chaos had me thinking about what happens when we lose our calmness.  The debris to me represented the ugliness of what can surface when our attitudes are not in check.  I think I recognized this because Bryan and I are different when it comes to orderliness.  As he left some things out of place I wanted to address him in a not so honorable manner.  But as the Lord would have it, I was reminded of my journey and had to address the situation in a manner that was honoring of my husband and the Lord.  The water reminded me of how beautiful we must appear to our spouse and others when we deal with things in a calm manner and also the ugliness of how we may appear when we allow ourselves to be out of sorts and fighting with the human nature of peace.  I thank the Lord for this metaphor, as I know it was only him that had me see things from this perspective.  It was quite the visual.  I have crossed that bridge countless times over the past eight years and never had such a revelation. 

Today, I honored my husband through calmness.  Calmness in the midst of what could have been a storm, calmness to keep all the unnecessary debris at bay, calmness to increase the level of intimacy instead of divisivenss and calmness to experience the glory of God's peace.

Wives of the world, in what ways do you honor your husband with calmness?  How do you keep the debris of your attitude in check to keep the level of intimacy and peace high?  Please share your story with us.

Rochelle

...calmness can lay great offenses to rest. Eccle. 10:4
Please click on comments to post your story.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Rochelle,

Although I am not married each one of your blogs has resonated something deep inside of me. I enjoy reading all of them and this one in particular helps us to understand the importance of dealing with difficult situations in calmness rather than agitation and chaos. Controlling our attitudes and emotions allows us the freedom to enjoy peace.

Unknown said...

Hi!
I definitely felt compelled to add a comment to this topic of CALMNESS. Being a "Type A" personality, I'm often high-strung, busy, excitable, etc. My husband is NOT! After reading your entry, Rochelle, it dawned on me that I should work even harder to "bring it down" and be more calm about matters. That was an awesome analogy you used regarding the calmness of the waters. I do want calmness in our marriage; I do want to "keep all of the unnecessary debris at bay"; I do want increased intimacy; I do want the calmness to exp. the glory of God's peace. My husband would be HAPPY if I honored him with calmness!

Rochelle said...

Thanks so much for sharing how this post touched you. It is amazing how God can send us a message through his glory and wonders. Since I have been on this journey the Lord has been showing all kinds of ways to be a better me so I know if you stay the course and be intentional, you, your marriage and husband will be blessed. I cannot wait to hear the testimony.