Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 140 Honoring My Husband With Independence

                 Happy Independence Day America! 


What a wonderful country we live in.  Some may say for those of us  that are African American we are celebrating independence of our country and independence for the freedom journey of our race.  With all the challenges, obstacles, legal barriers we have overcome, it is nice to see where the Lord has brought us as a race and as a country.  Today I am honoring my husband with a celebration of independence. 

We were watching a movie on yesterday and a couple was getting married.  One of the men yelled out to the groom to walk slowly because he was taking his last few steps of freedom as he and his bride were entering their new home.  I found his comment funny yet interesting.  I found his choice of words intriguing, your last steps of freedom.  I began to wonder if this is the reason why so many men and women are fearful of getting married because they see it as giving up their freedom as opposed to gaining a life partner. 

I never felt that getting married was giving up my freedom.  That sounds like marriage is more a destination of bondage Vs a place of comfort, peace, love and togetherness.  When Bryan and I first got married he used to go on trips with some of his friends and several of my friends could not understand why I was so okay with it.  I was okay with it because I trusted God, my husband and our union.  I was okay with it because I was and am free.  Our guidelines have been from the beginning to always demonstrate respect to each other and our marriage.  I did not need to ask or tell my husband what he should or should not be doing because I believed in my heart he would always do right by our commitment.  By treating each other as respectable adults we always felt a sense of freedom in our marriage which ultimately brought us closer together.

For me, freedom is what comes with being a child of God,.  Freedom is the benefit of Jesus joy.  When we love the Lord with all our heart, he frees us of bondage of ourselves and others.  I believe when we are free in our spirit our spirit allows others to be free as well.  Today I am honoring my husband with independence for the freedom we have allowed each other to enjoy in our marriage.  This does not mean we have not had our challenges however it does mean that we don't try to hold each other captive by placing boundaries that are really a reflection of a lack of trust, and when we do we can call each other on it until that person gets things settled in their heart, whatever that might look like.

Wives of the world in what ways do you or can you honor your husband with independence?  Does your husband feel that he can go and hang out with his friends one evening or is this something you have forbidden in your marriage?  Does your husband feel a sense of freedom or is your marriage a place of bondage?  If you do not know, check it out with your husband and be prepared to deal with his truth.  Please share your stories and any enlightenment with us; we would love to hear from you.

Blessings,

Rochelle

"True independence and freedom can only exist in doing what's right."

No comments: