Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 154 Honoring My Husband With Theory

As many of you may have realized by now, I am in school.  I am in the process of completing my Masters degree in organization development and praise God I have one more class and four more months remaining.  The foundation to the program is behavioral theory in several different areas, group, organization, leadership, psychology, and individual behavior.  I truly love learning about how people think, work and why we do the things we do.  It is and has been fascinating to me.  It has also helped me in my marriage in many ways.

Today I honored my husband by using theory.  Today Bryan asked me a question and I did not know the answer and told him I would give him the answer if he waited a few moments.  He decided he did not want to wait and decided to call me back.  When he tried to call me back I did not pick up the phone because I had gone into a store and left my phone in the car so it could charge.  To  make a long story short he got pretty frustrated and when we finally did connect he was pretty upset.  As I listened to him I wanted to explain what transpired however theory has taught me you cannot rationalize with someone who is filled with emotions which at the time Bryan was.  He had misconstrued my intent and what happened which drove him to frustration.  Theory also helped me understand how he got there.

Because I was able to apply theory to the situation it allowed me to "not" respond in an emotional manner but to simply listen.  The theory that helped is called rational emotive theory or RET and the aspect I was able to apply is simply you cannot rationalize with someone when they are filled with emotion because they cannot hear you no matter how hard you may try.  It is scientifically proven to be impossible because emotions has taken the place of logic and without logic one cannot understand. So today I honored my husband by using theory to understand where he was and what I needed to do to manage the situation, just listen.

Wives of the world in what ways can you honor your husband's using this theory?  How can it help you manager a situation with you or your husband?  The next time you are in a situation with your husband where his emotions are running high, remember RET and this may help you better understand how to handle the situation instead of getting upset and there being two overly emotional people.  Please share your stories with us; we would love to hear from  you.

Blessings,

Rochelle

"There is nothing like a good theory" Kurt Lewin

No comments: