Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Day 230 Honoring My Husband With Emotional Health


Being a disciple of Christ requires us to
be emotionally mature in all areas. 
Discover what area you need to change.
 I have always considered myself to be a pretty well balanced and emotionally healthy individual.  I   handle my anger well, do not project my stuff on to others, can share my feelings in a way that can be understood and am considered a pretty good listener.  Today I learned that I am not as emotionally healthy as I had thought.  The reason is due to work life balance. 

I am teaching a class on leadership and we are using a book called "The Emotionally Healthy Church" by Peter Scazzero.  The book is to build leaders that are Disciples of Christ.  In this book there is an assessment about emotional health.  I took the assessment once before and I believe I either did not complete it or miscalculated my rating because today when I completed it I learned that I rated myself as emotionally immature when it comes to accepting the Gifts of Limits. 

The Gift of Limits is our ability to establish healthy boundaries when it comes to our schedules and specifically when it comes to doing work in ministry.  Bryan has commented several times about the amount of time I commit to the church and I know it is a lot especially since I left my job, however I always justify it with my way of giving back.  Today I learned again and had it validated once more that the Lord does not want us to work in his kingdom at the expense of our family, sleep, work or lives.  I believe I knew this instinctively however it was an eye opener to see the results of my assessment.  So now I have to take it a  little more serious to see just what I will do different. 

Today I am honoring my husband with emotional health by owning my imbalance and committing to putting systems in place to be more balanced.  Yes I know this is the second time I have owned up to this in less than 30 days, so clearly the Lord is trying to tell me something.  I know I have been operating on his grace and need to move fast before he gives me a greater warning sign about the change I need to make.

Wives of the world in what ways can you honor your husband's with emotional health.  The book looks at several aspects of emotional health to include, being a disciple, what's beneath the surface, breaking the power of the past, living in brokenness, embracing grief and loss and making incarnation our model for loving well.  How emotionally healthy are you when you consider these areas?  Is there an area where you need to improve your emotional health so that you are mature in all areas and not most?  I discovered that I as an emotional adult in six out of seven areas yet the book speaks to the importance of being emotionally mature in all areas to be a fully healthy disciple of Christ.  How can you honor your husband with emotional health today?

Blessings,

Rochelle

"Establishing boundaries is the gift of life, love and happiness we can only give to ourselves." RAS

1 comment:

Conny said...

Good for you for realizing this deficit in your life right now ... How well I know about wanting to find a "balance" between ministry, family, and friends!! Our pastor has always encouraged us to put FAMILY before the church (with GOD as #1, of course!!); however, the church has SO MANY needs that if we don't take care of them, who will??? That's where our pastor says not even HE can carry all the church's burdens or do everything that needs to be done or that he WANTS to do. Anyway, I've stepped back from a lot of things - but then again, I got to that "burn out" point in my ministry life about 2 years ago ... and that's because I did too much in my strength, not God's. Anyway, just wanted to encourage you that you've realized and acknowledged something will definitely help your marriage & your life in general. :)