Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 237 Honoring My Husband With Humor


Laughter creates stronger relationships.
 Whenever I am in my car I typically listen to a Christian Radio station, Wednesday evening I was   able  to listen to a Focus on the Family series and they were talking about marriage and the expectations we have going into it.  I heard one of the funniest stories I have heard in a long time and felt compelled to share it with Bryan.  Here is the story:

A middle age man, I believe it was Gary Smalley's son, was sharing a story about when he first got married, both him and his wife were in the low twenties.  He had an expectation that his wife would make breakfast every morning.  When they returned home from their honeymoon, on the next day his wife slept in late.  The next day she slept in late again and she slept in every day thereafter for about six or seven days.  Since she was not cooking breakfast he began to think she was upset with him about something.  So on the next day he asked her, "Honey are we okay" and she said "sure, why do you ask" and he proceeded to say "well you have not cooked breakfast so I thought you were mad at me."   He then began to say "my mom used to" and he said before he could finish his sentence his new wife said, "If you want a hot breakfast you better set a fire under your cornflakes."  I could not contain my laughter. 

Her husband had come from a family where his mother cooked breakfast every day, so he thought that is what wives do, cook breakfast everyday for their husband's.  He went on to share that this exchange led to a conversation about expectations.  He had no idea that he had the expectation and clearly neither did his wife.  They were able to come to an agreement about breakfast but more importantly they were able to have a discussion about unspoken expectations based on their life experiences.

I had to share this story with Bryan because I knew he would resonate with it.  As with any other marriage we've had our share of upheavals because of unknown, unspoken or unrealistic expectations.  Today I'm just glad it was someone else story we could laugh at. 

Wives of the world how can you honor your husband with humor?  What story have you heard that resonates with an experience in your marriage you both can laugh at?  I shared on day 147 many of the benefits that come with laughter (check it out if you don't recall them).  One of which was about
 Laughter and Your Relationship - When two people share a funny story or a silly situation arises between two people, there’s a unique bonding that is created. Something special is formed between the two that only they can relate with. It’s an inside joke that is special to those who’ve shared in the moment.   How can you honor your husband with humor on today?

Blessings,

Rochelle

No comments: