Welcome to my Blog

I Will Honor My Husband blog site began as a wife's journey to love, honor and cherish her husband everyday for one full year in 2011. The experience was so awesome that I am continuing the journey. As the Lord guides me I will continue to post about how I am honoring my husband on at least a weekly basis. This blog is for me and other wives to learn how to be more intentional in demonstrating our love, honor and respect for our husbands in a way that matters to them most. Last year it was a challenge and a goal to make it a habit, this year I hope to realize the habit as a way of life. I welcome, encourage and invite you to - Join the Movement! and let the world know you honor your husband.

My prayer is that marriages and lives will be changed across the globe by the expression of "One Year of Love". Please send me a picture of you and your husband so the world will know you have joined the movement.

Rochelle

"The Lord, your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and all your soul." Deut. 13:3

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 249 Honoring My Husband Through Thorns & Thistles


Our thorns and thistles are the
gateway to living and loving like Jesus.
 Yesterday evening was another day of teaching leadership school at my church.  The lesson was about  living and leading in brokenness and vulnerability.  As I prepared for the lesson the Lord revealed an awesome revelation to me about his intentions for my marriage through this journey that brought me to tears.  As a result of that I am honoring my husband today through thorns and thistles.

The lesson was about how the Lord has promised we would have trials and tribulations as a result of the Fall from grace by Adam and Eve.  Every since that time, all God's children are promised to have struggles and life will be painful, difficult and frustrating.  The two areas we will have these challenges are in our relationships and our work.  The reason we have these thorns and thistles is because God wants to drive us to our knees to seek him and recognize our need for a Savior.

My revelation was when God created Adam and Eve they were in his likeness, filled with unconditional love for God and each other.  There was no quarrelling, manipulation, lack of trust or defensiveness; until they sinned.  God then revealed to me that his ultimate plan for us is that our relationships return to one that existed with Adam and Eve, especially in our marriage.  But this is also true of our family relationship, friendships, work relationships, actually all relationships.  God wants us to live in a place where true intimacy is more natural than today.

The Lord then revealed to me the reason he is taking me through this process is so that my marriage is one that is more like Adam and Eve instead of today's societal definition of marriage.  I realized at that moment the love the Lord is pouring upon us to want our marriages to be equivalent to that of Adam and Eve.  I thought Wow!, you love me so much that you want me to experience that kind of love here on earth.  I was breathless and filled with tears.  Imagine the love you would experience if your marriage was like that of Adam and Eve.  How awesome is that.

Today I am honoring my husband through the thorns and thistles that God uses to help us create a relationship like Adam and Eve.  It now all makes perfect sense and I feel like my purpose has increased exponentially as a result.  What this means to me is that the next time Bryan and I have a disagreement or our relationship seems a little strained, I have a new lens to view the situation which in of itself will impact how I choose to engage.  I just love how God works.

Wives of the world in what ways can you honor your husband through thorns and thistles?  How would it change your interactions knowing that each struggle is intended to help you get closer to God and have relationships like Adam and Eve, before the fall? What can you do to honor your husband through thorns and thistles today?

Blessings,

Rochelle

“We must through many tribulations enter the kingdom of God.” Acts 14:22

2 comments:

Toyin O. said...

I guess it depends on the thorn and thistle; as a single person, if God is given you signs you are about to marry some one that will cause pain, frustration, and difficulty; you will be wise to break up with that person. However, if you are already married, I believe marriage can be a cross that produces life with each Crucifixion experience. Every problem you go thru in your marriage should draw a couple closer to each other and to God.

Rochelle said...

Toyin you are so correct. The purpose of the thorns and thistles does depend on the nature of the relationship. Sometimes God is using them to say get out and others to say get closer. Thanks for sharing.